“Forward ever, backward never: onwards with Breaking Through”

What are all the regulations, Guidelines and instructions in the case of Husband and Wife both working for Central Government in the situations such as applying for House Building Advance, Medical Attendance Rules, Children Education Allowance, Leave Travel Concession Etc ?

How a married couple is treated in various Central Government service matters when both Husband and Wife are serving in Central Government?
The need to have a clarity on this subject gains much significance because treatment of them could differ in each law as each one would treat them according to the intention of the particular law.
For example, both are entitled to draw HRA even if they work in the same station, and live together but not provided with Government accommodation.
But when comes to Allotment of Quarters maintained by Government, only one residence will be provided to them except in the case of Judicial separation.
This article is a compilation of regulations in various service matters in respect of Husband and Wife when both are Central Government Employees.

House Building Advance

HBA can be claimed by either of them.  As per Rule 2 of HBA Rules, for the purpose of eligibility based on cost-ceiling of the house to be constructed, pay of both of them can be taken in to account.  However, for the purpose of calculating the maximum amount of advance eligible under HBA, only the pay of the employee who prefers to avail HBA can be taken in to account.

Medical Attendance Rules

In non-CGHS areas, central government employees are covered by CS(MA) Rules which provide reimbursement of medical expenses incurred by the Central Government Employees. In the case of Both husband and wife working central government, to avoid double claim for same medical expenses, either Husband or Wife is permitted to make claims for self and entire family.   The person who prefers to make claims under Medical Attendance Rules should be clearly mentioned in the joint declaration given by Both Husband and Wife in this regard.  In the event of promotion, transfer, retirement, etc this declaration can be revised at any time.   In the case of wife prefers to avail this concession for the entire family, she can either choose her parents or parents-in-law as dependents and prefer medical claim for them.

Children Education Allowance

As far as reimbursement of payment of tuition fees and hostel fees are concerned, either Husband or Wife  can avail the benefit.

Family Planning Allowance

Either Husband or Wife may prefer to receive Family Planning Allowance.  Since FPA is based on pay in pay band and grade pay, it will be beneficial if the employee drawing higher pay prefers to receive the same.  In that case, there is no condition specified with regard to the employee who undergone family planning.

Leave Travel Concession

  1. His wife,
  2. His two surviving unmarried children or step children wholly dependent on him,
  3. His parents and/or step mother wholly dependent on him, whether or not residing with him and
  4. His unmarried minor brothers as well as unmarried, divorced, abandoned, separated from their husbands or widowed sisters residing with and wholly dependent him, provided their parents are either not alive or are themselves wholly dependent on him
  1. Her wife,
  2. Her two surviving unmarried children or step children wholly dependent on her,
  3. Her parents and/or step mother wholly dependent on her, whether or not residing with her and
  4. Her unmarried minor brothers as well as unmarried, divorced, abandoned, separated from their husbands or widowed sisters residing with and wholly dependent her, provided their parents are either not alive or are themselves wholly dependent on her
The above mentioned provision relating to family members can be separately declared and LTC for those members can be separately claimed by both Husband and Wife, subject to conditions that children will be eligible for the benefit in one particular block as members of the family of one of the parents only and that if husband or wife avails the facility as a member of the family of the other, he or she is not entitled for claiming the concession for self independently.

Travelling Allowance

Travelling Allowance allowed in the event of transfer of one or both of them simultaneously one of the spouses can prefer the claim and the other will be treated as member of family. In such situations only one lumpsum grant can be claimed.
If a husband or wife is transfered after 60 days of transfer of the spouse, but within 6 months, 50% of transfer grant is admissible. However, if both are entitled for reimbursement of cost of travel by personal car, if required they can travel seperatey and claim both of such travel expenses.

Family Pension

Either Husband or Wife is entitled for family pension in addition to own pay or pension, if the spouse dies.
In the case of demise of such husband /wife also, who was receiving family pension for the demise of his/her spouse, the child / children of the deceased parents should be granted two family pensions subject to certain limits prescribed. Please refer to Rule 54 (11), CCS (Pension) Rules in this regard.

House Rent Allowance

HRA will be paid to both husband and wife even if they work in the same station and did not avail Government Quarters. Even if one of them avails the Government residence in the same station where the other spouse is working, he/she will not be entitled for HRA.

Central Government Health Scheme

While both alongwith their family members will be eligible for medical treatement under CGHS, the spouse drawing higher pay will contribute to the Scheme.  The scheme does not cover the Parents of the non-contributing employee.
However, women employees can prefer to include her parents-in-law, instead of her parents, in the family for availing CGHS.
If both Husband and Wife prefer to contribute for CGHS, parents of both will be entitled for medical benefits under CGHS.

Allotment of Residence

For the purpose of allotment of residence status of each of Husband and Wife such as designation, pay/grade pay drawn, service experience etc will be considered independently.  In other words, higher status of either of two can be taken into account for priority, higher grade of residence etc.  In any case both Husband and wife are entitled for allotment of one residence only except in the event of judicial separation.

Transfer norms when Husband and wife are in Government service

Also Checkout following link to get all the Govt orders and instructions regarding Transfer Norms when husband and wife are working in Central Government Service (Spouse Grounds)
Posting of Husband and Wife at the Same Station - Dopt orders

Concerning the posting at the same place of husband and wife who are working in Government service, the transfer issues have been raised in Parliament on several occasions. In 1980’s these demands began to show its seriousness, because the percentage of women employees were increased in joining the Government services. The Central Government also observed this issue from various forums, a circular had been issued by the Department of Social Welfare in Feb 1976 to all Head of Departments to give serious consideration to the requests of posting of husband and wife at the same station. In order to that order, lot of women employees started to send their request to transfer at the place where their husbands are posted.

The Central Government gave its utmost importance to this issue and as far as possible and within the constraints of administrative feasibility, the husband and wife should be posted at the same station to enable them to lead a normal family life and to ensure the education and welfare of their children. The Department of Personnel and Training issued an OM on 3.4.86, in accordance with the guidelines and instructions in the order given by the Government, all cadre controlling authorities should consider such requests with the utmost sympathy.

The Department of Personnel and Training issued various office memorandums regarding this matter from time to time. The motive of the Government on the petitioners, said in the orders repeatedly, to give utmost importance attached to the enhancement of women’s status in all walks of life and to enable them to lead a normal family life as also to ensure the education and welfare of the children.

Till recently, the persmin has issued total of six orders pertaining the above subject on its website. After implementation of the 6th CPC, the last order has been issued on 30.09.2009. The order said that “On the basis of the 6th CPC reprot, Government servants have already been allowed the facility of Child Care Leave which is admissible till the children attain 18 years of age”. The consolidated guidelines concerened this subject has been provided in the OM dated 12.06.1997. The consolidated guidelines has been amended and published in the last order after implementation of 6th CPC.

In the main guidelines, ”The husband & wife, if working in the same Department and if the required level of post is available, should invariably be posted together in order to enable them to lead a normal family life and look after the welfare of their children especially till the children attain 18 years of age. This will not apply on appointment under the central Staffing Scheme. Where only wife is a Govt. servant, the above concessions would be applicable to the Govt. servant. Complaints are sometimes received that even if posts are available in the station of posting of the spouse, the administrative authorities do not accommodate the employees citing administrative reasons. In all such cases, the cadre controlling authority should strive to post the employee at the station of the spouse and in case of inability to do so, specific reasons, therefor, may be communicated to the employee”.

We have made a table of orders for your kind consideration…
O.M. No./O.M. Date
Subject Link
Posting of husband and wife at the same station
Posting of Physically Handicapped Candidates    
No.AB14017/41/90- Estt.(RR)
Posting of Government employees who have mentally retarded children
No. 28034/2/97-Estt. (A)
Posting of husband and wife at the same station
Posting of physically handicapped candidates     
No. 28034/9/2009-Estt.(A) 30/09/2009
Posting of husband and wife at the same station
No. 41017/10/2015-Estt.(A)
Status of implementation of the Supreme Court judgement dated 31.10.2013 in WP(Civil) No. 82/2011 in the matter of Shri T.S.R. Subramanian and Others vs. UOI and Others - Parliament Assurance in Rajya Sabha Unstarred Q.No.988, answered on 17.07.2014, on Amendment in Rule 3(3) of All India Service (Conduct) Rules - regarding
No. 11013/10/2013-Estt.(A) 02/07/2015
Framing a Transfer Policy in all cadres - regarding

The affected employees feel that although the all guidelines for implementing the facility issued by the Government, the Head of Departments are not feasible to make it clear to stricken employees.